Bibury is a small village in the south Cotswolds. This charming Cotswold village has a population of just over 600 inhabitants, and it was indeed recorded in the Doomsday book in 1068, when it was known as Becheberie.
Perhaps for many, the most memorable and striking image in the village is that of Arlington Row, which is an enchanting collection of weavers cottages. Bibury was described by William Morris as “the most beautiful village in England”, and it is arguably one of the most famous and popular spots in the Cotswolds.
Bibury is actually two small villages, separated by the River Coln. The Coln flows through the middle of Bibury. On the one side of the river is Bibury, and on the other, Arlington, with Arlington Row. These cottages are next to Rack Isle, a name earned from the fact that wool was hung out to dry on racks here, after it had been washed in Arlington Row. These cottages started life as monastic wool stores, dating back to the 13th Century.
The history of Bibury dates back to at least the Iron Age, and there are the remains of a hill fort, above the village.
Akeman Street, the Roman road from Cirencester to St Albans is close by, the ancient Salt Way from Droitwich to Lechlade can be followed just up the hill towards Burford. Salt of superior quality was to be found in the Droitwich and transported south to be traded across Europe. The Roman army was often paid in salt.
The local church of St Mary contains some signs of Saxon origins, and is a Grade I listed building. The churchyard itself is also worth of note, because of the remarkable survival of so many carved table tombs with bale tops, and headstones with cherubs and symbolic figures of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries”
Close by is the former Bibury Court Hotel, built in 1633. This has recently been converted back to a private residence.
The small, boggy water meadow across the river is known as Rack Isle. This island is not accessible to the public, only wildlife are free to enter. The river is well stocked with plump, brown trout, thanks to Bibury Trout Farm and the land is owned by the National Trust, as is Arlington Row.
The Swan Hotel is set at the heart of modern day Bibury, and together with the trout farm and smokery, The Catherine Wheel pub and Twig, the new deli & café, there is no shortage of places to indulge in locally sourced produce.
Butler Sherborn have consistently sold properties in the village, and currently we have St Michael’s Cottage, Arlington for sale- an attractive two double bedroom mid terrace cottage, with a sunny courtyard garden, garage and parking. Guide Price £475,000.
To arrange a viewing contact Cirencester on 01285 883740.